Monday, July 7, 2008

The truth about FIV




Hi, my name is Jellybean and I am FIV positive. While many people believe this is a death sentence for me and other affected cats, I am here to dispel the rumors.
What is FIV?
FIV or Feline Immunodeficiency Virus is a retrovirus in the same family as the human AIDS virus, with a few significant differences.
How common is FIV?
"In the United States, approximately 1.5 to 3 percent of healthy cats are infected with FIV. Rates rise significantly-15 percent or more-in cats that are sick or at high risk of infection. Because biting is the most efficient means of viral transmission, free-roaming, aggressive male cats are the most frequently infected, while cats housed exclusively indoors are much less likely to be infected." (Cornell Feline Health Center)
How is FIV spread?
"The primary mode of transmission is through bite wounds. Casual, non-aggressive contact does not appear to be an efficient route of spreading FIV; as a result, cats in households with stable social structures where housemates do not fight are at little risk for acquiring FIV infections. On rare occasions infection is transmitted from an infected mother cat to her kittens, usually during passage through the birth canal or when the newborn kittens ingest infected milk. Sexual contact is not a major means of spreading FIV."(Cornell Feline Health Center)
What can I do to help keep my cat healthy?
Confining your cat to the indoors helps to keep them from bacteria and other harmful fungi that can affect your cats weakened immune system. This also prevents them from spreading the disease to other cats. Secondary infections are responsible for most diseases associated with FIV. Check ups with your veterinarian every six months help to track your cats health and maintain its wellness. Feed your cat a well balanced diet and keep a close eye on their health. Any changes in weight or overall wellness should be reported to your veterinarian.
How long will my FIV positive cat live?
It is impossible to determine how long any animal will live. As long as you remain vigilant and feed them a well balanced diet with regular veterinary visits your cat could potentially live as long as any other cat. There is no proven shortening of life expectancy with FIV cats.
I am 2 years old now and healthy. I love to play alone or with other people. I am very energetic and would love to have someone to play with me and love me. While I am FIV positive and should not be brought into a home with uninfected cats I can still be a single home pet or live with other FIV positive cats. Please consider giving me and other FIV positive cats a chance! We are still a lot of fun and will make sweet and lovable companions. If you are interested in learning more about me come visit me at my home, the Peninsula SPCA! Just ask for Jellybean my number is 16854. I look forward to meeting you.
For more information on FIV check out Cornell's amazing online brochure: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

No comments: