Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Newbie Learns the Ropes...



Part one, Orientation


It is a busy Saturday at the SPCA when I arrive for my volunteer orientation class. The place is packed! A black lab greets me at the door and, after sniffing me down, he lets me in the building. I guess I passed the volunteer clearance test!


Once inside, the hunky Australian Mick and the zesty red-head Ellen explain what we are in for as a SPCA volunteer. Scooping poop, washing dishes and laundry (it does sound better in an accent). The truth is volunteering isn't all about cuddling puppies and carrying around kittens, it is hard work sometimes. Ellen asks us to explain why we chose to offer our time to the SPCA, without saying we love animals. But the truth is that is exactly why I am there (even though I am not that fond of cats). I believe that every animal deserves to have a loving home and a loving person to...well, love. Two of my dogs have been strays, and those dogs would have been here at the shelter - or worse, hit by a car, but instead, I have two sweet friends that follow me around the house. Well, one does. The other expects me to come to him. Guess which one is which?


My group of five tours the facilities, which are clean and well organized. Mick shows us the front (where the adoptable dogs are)the back (where the dogs are treated and held to make sure they are okay for adoption, the further back (where the sick dogs are housed). The dog side is loud. All of the dogs "talk" at us as we go by, and there are lots of folks looking at the adoptable ones. We see were the adoption takes place and learn how to collect the information needed for that process.

We retreat to the quiet oasis that is the cat room. Mick shows us how to clean out a cage, and how to properly pick up a cat. I inquire why anyone would want to pick up a cat? But it is part of orientation and so I grab a tabby. He purrs -awww he's really sweet and doesn't even claw me. Cats are not all bad! We see the laundry room, the newspaper unfolding room, and the sinks. Out behind the SPCA is a petting zoo, and it is only $4! I thought the otters were very entertaining. If you watch them they seem to do tricks just for you. Look that one is flipping! Back to orientation.... We talk about the importance of hand sanitizer. If you touch one animal and then another and another YOU can spread disease. You should sanitize your hands between cages to keep the animals safe (not to mention yourself).


After we are finished with the tour, Ellen makes sure we are still on board and explains the commitment that we are making to this facility. We need to work eight hours each month for the

next six months. Everyone agrees to this and we get our blue volunteer shirts. Ellen asks us to email her our schedules and shuffles us back into the real world. I can't wait to start!!


No comments: